Breast Implant Removal & Revision
Most women who undergo breast augmentation experience many years of satisfaction with their fuller figure. In some instances, women may choose to remove or replace their implants because of aging, lifestyle changes, or implant rupture. Dr. Craig Foster can perform breast implant removal and revision at his Manhattan, NYC, practice to help you look your best if you decide you no longer want implants, or wish to receive different implants. Reach out to our office today to learn more about how Dr. Foster can help you.
Why Implant Revision?
The decision to remove or replace breast implants is a very personal one. There are a number of reasons why a woman may undergo breast implant revision:
- Implant Age – The typical lifespan for implants is about 10 to 15 years. Older implants are more likely to sustain slow deflating, or spontaneous rupturing. If an implant ruptures, the patient should have revision surgery sooner rather than later.
- Implant Size – In the months and years following surgery, a woman may adopt a different attitude about the appearance of her breasts. She may feel the implants are too large, and have them removed so she can revert to her natural proportions. There are women who feel that their implants are not large enough, and choose to replace their implants with a larger size to achieve a fuller look.
- Sagging Breasts – Gravity and the natural aging process will eventually cause the breasts and breast implants to sag. Women can restore their perkier figure by undergoing a breast lift, a breast lift with new implants, or simply having the implants removed.
- “Double Bubble” Deformities – In rare cases, the breast implant will fall behind the natural breast fold, instead of dropping forward into the shape of a natural breast. If the implant descends back, it creates an unnatural-looking bulge along the bottom of the breast. Removing or replacing the implants is the only effective way to overcome “double bubble” deformities.
- Capsular Contracture – This condition occurs when scar tissue contracts around the implant, distorting the shape and feel of the breasts. Surgical removal of the implants is the only way to effectively treat capsular contracture.
The Breast Removal Procedure
Your implants will be removed using small incisions, usually created along the lower folds of the breasts. The technique used for inserting new implants will depend on your unique physical characteristics and cosmetic goals. Performed on an outpatient basis, patients are typically discharged the same day, and recover in the comfort of their own home. Patients should expect to be out of work for about a week. Dr. Foster may prescribe special compression garments to expedite the healing process. As a respected surgeon with years of experience, Dr. Foster can perform a breast implant removal or revision that achieves beautiful results and requires minimal recovery time.
Schedule Your Consult Today
If you are considering removing or replacing your implants, trust in Dr. Foster’s expertise to give you an exceptional surgical experience and flattering results. Contact our practice today to learn more about breast implant revision, or our other breast procedures.