Safer, More Comfortable, and More Effective: The Tumescent Liposuction Technique
Since its inception, liposuction has been one of the safest and most dependable of all plastic surgery procedures. However, liposuction truly came into its own when the tumescent technique was introduced. Tumescent liposuction offered a number of advantages over its conventional counterpart, including more precise results, less bleeding, and a dramatically shorter recovery period.
At the plastic surgery practice of Craig A. Foster, M.D., D.D.S., F.A.C.S. in Manhattan, the tumescent liposuction technique is used to ensure the best possible body contouring results for our patients. Dr. Foster prizes nothing above the safety, comfort, and overall satisfaction of our patients, and the tumescent liposuction technique helps to promote each of these things.
What Is the Tumescent Liposuction Technique?
“Tumescent” literally means “firm and swollen.” The tumescent liposuction technique begins with the injection of fluid into the area being targeted for treatment. This saline-based fluid contains both lidocaine, which is a local anesthetic, and epinephrine, which constricts the blood vessels to limit bleeding. The injection of this fluid causes the treatment site to become firm and swollen, which makes it easier for Dr. Foster to target that site without disrupting surrounding tissues.
The tumescent liposuction technique offers many unique benefits over other methods, including:
- It eliminates the need for IV fluids, as the initial injection of fluid into the treatment site is more than sufficient.
- The fluid contains a local anesthetic, eliminating the need for general or IV anesthesia.
- Surgical blood loss is minimal due to the presence of epinephrine, which causes the blood vessels to shrink during surgery.
- The shrinkage of the blood vessels delays the absorption of the lidocaine by the body, meaning that patients will benefit from the anesthetic effects of the lidocaine for two to three days after the surgery, when discomfort would otherwise be most acute.
- There is less risk of post-surgical infection due to the use of bacteriostatic lidocaine.
- The tumescent technique allows Dr. Foster to target isolated deposits of fat with greater precision, as imperfections in the texture of the skin are magnified through the injection of fluid.
- The tumescent technique can be used virtually anywhere on the body where fat cells have congregated and caused the skin to appear lumpy, including the thighs, back, legs, abdomen, flanks (“love handles”), chin, and neck.
- Patients tend to experience less bruising, swelling, and pain after tumescent liposuction than after conventional liposuction.
Furthermore, because Dr. Foster uses his keen aesthetic eye in conjunction with his superior surgical skills, patients can expect body contouring results of the absolute highest standard. He is a master of bringing the various components of the human body into improved proportion and harmony, and he would welcome the opportunity to give you the stunning figure you deserve. With expertly performed tumescent liposuction, you too can have the smooth, youthful contours you crave.
Learn More about the Tumescent Liposuction Technique
If you would like to learn more about the tumescent liposuction technique or schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Craig A. Foster, we encourage you to contact our plastic surgery practice today.